We have all heard stories about inspirational leaders and what they have achieved but what is your leadership story? Whether you are just starting out or have been in a leadership position for many years there are always areas for improvement. In 2015 the Midlands Hub will be offering the opportunity to 20 researchers to improve their leadership skills by taking part in a 2 day leadership course.
Preparing for Leadership for Research Staff is a course specifically for researchers who are in the first 4 years of their postdoctoral career and who are starting to take on leadership roles or who wish to take on more leadership roles in the future.
The 2 day course will take place on the 8th and 9th of Janaury in Birmingham and will take participants though many aspects of leadership including:
- Leading self
- Intellectual leadership
- Team leadership
By the end of this programme, you will be better able to:
- Appreciate the critical situations that have led you to be successful to date
- Consider what leadership might mean
- Understand yourself and your preferences that will allow you to exercise leadership in a way that suits you
- Clarify the tasks that are expected of you both now and in future roles
- Identify the areas of competency that are required for the next steps into leadership positions
- Create a vision and strategy to implement; decide what is important for you
- Decide the culture you want to create
- Decide how to get the best out of other people
- Decide how to develop yourself to do all of these things more effectively
- Appreciate what is important and essential in any future role
- Develop a peer network
If you would like to know more about your leadership style take a look at The Leading Researcher; it gives an overview of different leadership styles and offers advice and guidance on how you could gain more leadership experience in your current role regardless of whether you are the boss or not.